The Audit Committee is chaired by Charlotte Stranner and consists of two non-executive directors, Charlotte Stranner and Malcolm Wall.
The Audit Committee meets formally not less than three times every year and otherwise as required. The external auditors are invited to each meeting and the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer (together with members of the finance team as appropriate) attend by invitation.
The Committee assists the Board in meeting its responsibilities in respect of corporate governance, external financial reporting and internal controls, including, amongst other things, reviewing the Group’s annual financial statements, reviewing and monitoring the extent of the non-audit services undertaken by external auditors, advising on the appointment of external auditors and reviewing the effectiveness of the Group’s internal controls and risk management systems.
In fulfilment of these objectives the Committee:
• reviews the Group’s financial statements and finance-related announcements, including compliance with statutory and listing requirements. Compliance is reviewed each year with the Chief Financial Officer and enhancements are made as appropriate;
• considers whether these statements and announcements provide a fair, balanced and understandable view of the Group’s strategy and performance, and of the associated risks. Further consideration of these matters is also provided by the Board as a whole;
• considers the appropriateness of accounting policies and significant accounting judgements and the disclosure of these in the financial statements;
• reviews the effectiveness of financial controls and systems. The Group does not have an internal audit function and the Committee continues to be of the view that the Group is not yet of a size and complexity to warrant the establishment of such a function; and
• oversees the relationship with and performance of the external auditors.